Wednesday, 18 July 2012

The lazy summer blogger

Dear readers, I haven't forgotten you, it's just that summer always seems to turn me into a lazy blogger. I'm still in love with my Singer 160, but I've not been able to spend quite as much time with her as I would have liked to as I've been too caught up with the summer madness (I still don't know where its all come from but I'm not complaining) that is good time with friends, light rains, BBQs, going to gigs (90s techno being the fad) and enjoying life. 

And I also went to NYC for nearly two weeks which was/is the highlight of my summer. I did make a black dress for New York (which I didn't wear in the end cause it was too hot) but I've not got around taking pics of it yet, update to follow when I'm back on the right time-zone and get the pictures sorted (and maybe re-do the hem ...)

But New York, it was amazing. I fell in love with the City, the noise, the lights, the Brooklyn hipster markets, Central Park, the garment district, yummy sushi and just everything. I wasn't so organised that I would have booked a sewing lesson with the lovely Gertie, but they say you need to leave something to come back for and in a way I felt like I needed a break from sewing for a while. But I did visit the garment district and was over-whelmed by all the lovely stores and haberdashery you could find there. I went easy on the sewing shopping and only got a Simplicity pattern 2547 (I see sugar skulls!), some fray glue (which never seems to be in stock in Finland) and a french curve that could easily double up as a machete ...
 
Garment district


Adorable vintage Singer in a shop window


I also found these adorable bobbin earrings at an arts&craft market in Brooklyn and couldn't say no. Aren't they so adorable?
One of my fave NYC finds

 
I was also eyeing up a scissor necklace, but decided against it for some reason. Needless to say I'm now kicking myself, well maybe next time. So tell me what have you been up to all summer? 

No comments:

Post a Comment