Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Autumn sewing plans

It's starting to feel like autumn in Finland, the rains are here and it is getting colder. I've turned my attention to thicker fabrics and new patterns. I should probably go through my pattern stash and have a look what I have there, but as there's been such a buzz about Colette Patterns since I joined the online sewing community that I wanted to find out for myself what it is all about.

Surprisingly enough I didn't order any of the dress patterns (I'm starting to suspect I have too many of those already, is that even possible?) I went for the Clover trousers and the Beignet skirt instead. The Beignet is for intermediate sewer so I suspect it might be a bit out of me skills set but I'm dying to try it out. I'm thinking of making a making it in black twill with leopard print buttons and leopard print belt. I think the trousers might be a bit too summery for the rainy Finnish autumn, but we'll see ... 

The future project(s)


Aren't the pattern booklets the twee-est thing ever? The instructions seem clear and the illustrations are adorable. I'm starting to see what all the buzz is about, I can't wait to try these out. I just need to find the leopard print fabric and I'm good to go, though I could probably start on the skirt already, it's not like I'm going to be attaching the buttons first anyway.

And I finally got my copy of Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing in the post last week. Can I just say that I'm in love! I want to try out all the patterns and all the variations in the book. I think I'm going to start with the bow-tied blouse in a polka dot material and maybe try the dropped-waist cocktail dress at some point, but that's not really autumn wear. I really, really want to try out the coat dress, but I'm not too sure my skill set is up for that one yet. If you don't have a copy of the book yet, go and order it now or visit Gertie's wonderful blog for a lovely preview.

I also did a spot of fabric shopping last week after getting the patterns and the book. I'm a tad predictable with my fabric choices, but as I've probably mentioned before I'm somewhat scared of colour though I'd love to make the Tiki dress from GNBBS in a turquoise + pink floral fabric ... I got some dotty materials from the bargain bin and then some black material for the Beignet skirt.

The ever growing fabric stash 



I'd also love a cape for the autumn/winter. I've seen this gorgeous grey and black dotty wool in Eurokangas and I noticed that Butterick and McCall have yet another sale with cape patterns included (though I’ve understood these should be easy enough to make without a pattern, but I have a sneaky suspicion those are famous last words when it comes to my projects) so I might have to order a pattern and attempt to make one. Anyhow I’m off to hunt to leopard print fabric now. Ta-ra.

Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Dotty bow and a New Look 6808!

So I didn't quite finish the New Look 6808 view C the weekend I intended but the good news is I finally finished it yesterday. The collar was less confusing after I re-read the instructions when I was a tad less tired and I didn't even get into a fight with my arch nemesis the zipper, yay, it even looks neat and invisible, not that invisible things are supposed to look like anything but you know what I mean.

It was also the first time in ages that I've set sleeves into anything. I must admit I was feeling somewhat nervous about it (hence the endless amount of sleeveless dresses dear readers) but even the sleeves turned out smoothly and I didn't have take out the ripper. I'll be trying out more patterns with sleeves in the future!

Pinning the sleeve 

 

I originally planned to make this with a contrasting collar, but this being 'the wearable mock-up' I didn't bother. Luckily I had some leftover black and white dotty cotton (that some might recognise from previous projects!) so I decided to make the bow contrasting to give it a little something. 

The less confusing collar


The fit is pretty good but the top is a bit long for me, it seems that I have a shorter upper body as I've encountered the same problem with some other patterns before. Maybe I could shorten the pattern next time. I might just buy a shorter zip and swap it, now that I'm feeling a bit more confident with zippers.

The finished product




The top was easy enough to make and with slight adjustments to the lenght I'm sure it'll be fab. I think it has a certain vintagey feel to it and it looks cute with a skirt. I'm already planning on making this again with a contrasing collar and I might try one of the other views too! Over and out for now dear readers!