Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Knitting on trains (again)

I'm ashamed to say but I've been side-tracked from my Beignet project by the knitting, not that there is anything wrong with knitting, but it would be somewhat fab to finish one project before starting a new one, but then knitting is so different from sewing that it doesn't count (at least not in my mind) ... And in my defense I've been spending quite a bit of time on trains and carrying knitting around is a lot easier than taking my sewing with me... 

Surprise, surprise  I'm still continueing with socks but I think after these projects (yes, plular I've gone sock mad) I might be ready to try something a bit more challenging and probably something from the vintage knits book I have sitting on my shelf. Having said that my mom subscribes to a Finnish knitting magazine Novita (who also have a rather cool website www.novita.fi with some free patterns) so I may raid her pattern stash for something suitable.

Good news is I've finished the first pair and they only took me a week, hurrah They're for a friend, the future owner of these might guess who she is presuming she reads the blog. These were pretty easy to do, the leg was knit 2, purl 2 and I used the trusted heel turning I learnt last winter, I doubt I'll use any other method every again. These turned out pretty neat even if I say so myself.

The finished stripey pair 



The second thing in the making is a pair of black Fargyles, the pattern is from the brill website www.knitty.com  I knitted socks with the same pattern last year for my lil bro. I liked knitting the pattern (not too taxing once you got the hang of it) and lil bro loved the socks so win-win. These ones aren't for little bro, but I'm hoping the recipient will be happy. 

Second pair of almost finished Fargyles



I may have gone a bit over-board with the knitting, but I've also started a third pair which will be a christmas pressie which I should finish in time cause I've started them easrly enough ... I copied the pattern from some lovely purple socks that my Nan made me years ago, the pattern is made with different colour so none of the weird jump over one stich an slip and purl together malarkey and it also made it easier to copy. 

And the start of a third pair 


But not to worry I have my sewing machine back and I'm itching to finish the Beignet skirt so I'll hopefully get around doing that and typing up an update later on in the week. Tattybye til then dear readers and get those needles clicking.

Thursday, 11 October 2012

Bound button holes are all the rage!

I've started working on the Beignet skirt and I'm still superduper excited about the project even if  I'm a tad iffy about whether my skills are up for it or not, but its nice to have a bit of a challenge at times and also I'm learning new techniques/skills for this project.

So far I've cut the shell fabric and lining and done all the marking and I even made a mock-up which seemed to fit quite well. I then had a bright idea that I would love to try making bound button holes for the skirt as they look so much neater than normal ones even though I'm sure my lovely Singer makes excellent button holes (I'm yet to test this!)  ... 

I've never made bound button holes, but with the help from the excellent instructions from GNBBS I've attempted a practice run as I didn't want to ruin the skirt fabric straight away. I didn't quite understand the stitch in the ditch to begin with as you can see from the picture ... 

Practice run and misunderstood stitch in a ditch


But luckily the ditch stitching became clear when I started making the real ones. The button holes aren't quite even, but I think they'll do for a first attempt and I do think they look better than normal buttons holes would have and its so much fun attempting new techniques even if it meant spending hours marking, hand stitching and generally being confused. I also noticed that Coletterie posted a tutorial of bound button holes after I'd finished with mine, it's worth having a look if you don't have Gertie's book at hand.

After some hunting I found some perfect leopard printg fabric on eBay for the covered buttons. I had good intentions of covering the buttons myself with the help of the instructions from GNBBS, but when I went to my local haberdashery store they told me that they could make cover the buttons for the fraction of the cost of buying coverable buttons so I took my fabric there and the following day I could pick up the most beautiful covered buttons, win.

The bound button holes + pretty buttons



My mamaa dearest has my sewing machine at the moment, but I'm hoping to continue with the skirt soon, in the mean time I'll just have to knit. Over&out for now dear readers!