Monday, 7 January 2013

Knitting and New Year!

I hope you all survived Christmas and the festivities surrounding it. I had fun, saw family and friends, ate far too much and got pretty presents from lovely peeps. Some friends had even arranged a board game + RPG weekend to end it all which was very entertaining, I also discovered knitting and playing Game of Thrones go together well, but enough about geeking onto to crafting.

I must confess despite having time off I haven't really spent too much time crafting. I did however finish the three pairs of socks I was meant to finish and I think all the recipients have been happy with them, at least they said so. For some reason I didn't take pictures of the finished socks, but they're the ones I posted about a while back. I also mentioned that I started thre 4th pair and they are also finished which means I'm starting to get the hang of this knitting malarkey (or at least the socks)

More stripey socks 



I didn't finish the mittens for my lil bro as I couldn't locate the right colour yarn and I had to start over. I'm currently stuck on the pattern as thumbs are confusing me. I'm thinking of starting again with a different thumb (and hopefully quicker) thumb, but we'll see. Any mitten pattern out there you my dear readers could recommend? 

I've also started knitting a scarf (or rather I'm hoping of turning into a snood) for myself.  It makes a lovely change to knit with a thicker yarn and needles as you make progress so much quicker, but the loops that give the yarn the lovely texture keep getting stuck in the needles which is a tad maddening. We'll see if I get the finished before the snows melt though I must say the Game of Thrones really helped quite a bit ....

 Part snood and funky purple needles



Yarn + knitting texture 

 
And last but not least the hat or the epic craft-fail as I am now referring to it. Some of you might remember that I posted about a knitting book I got from a friend beginning of last year and that it had the pattern for a mohawk hat, the same one Martin Gore on Playing the Angel tour. So I finally braved the pattern and it was easier than I thought it would be, I got it done fairly quickly and the fringing was fun. The only thing that confused me was how big the hat turned out to begin with, but that was taken care by the washing machine. The hat instructions said to throw it in a hot cycle to get a felting effect ...

Hat pre-shrinking 



Hat post-shrinking




... yes, you guessed it, the hot cycle (60C for those interested) was too hot and the hat shrank too much. I r now have a cute felted mohawk hat that is too small for even a wee child. Facepalm. I might try again with a different yarn and a less hot cycle for the felting. I'll share the results if and when I'm brave enough try again, in the mean time I might go back to sewing.

Over&out for now dear readers!

2 comments:

  1. Happy new year! I nominated you for the Liebster award, details over on my blog : )

    http://sewlonnie.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Lonnie and thanks for the nomination. I'll try to get around posting the award post soon. X

      Delete