Friday, 20 December 2013

MacFrumpy from Highlands..?

As my previous sneak peek post showed I've jumped the tartan bandwagon this autumn/winter. As mentioned the dress is a mixture of Peony (bodice) and a pattern from a Burda Easy Fashion magazine (the skirt). I thought the pleats on the skirt would be a appropriate for the tartan as they remind me of a kilt, but I'm having major second thoughts now.

Matching two different patterns wasn't quite as horrendous as I would have expected. Hurrah. But I did spend some quality time with a tape measure and when I cut the skirt I left quite a bit of extra fabric to the sides, which was good as I measured the pleats wrong and I would have ran out of fabric, but now it was just a simple thing of moving the side seams further out and cutting the excess fabric away. 

I'm always amazed at how easy setting sleeves is (or maybe it's because I'm not too fussy about it). They seemed to go in like a dream even if the side stitch and sleeve stitch are a bit off, but I figured no one can see them unless I wave my arms like a maniac (and even if I do I suspect people won't have time to stare at the sleeve seams). I also found out that the sleeves on Peony are huge so I took them in quite a bit, but not too much as I still want to be able to do the maniac waving.

Invisible zipper foot
 

I tried an invisible zipper foot for the first time. My mum brought a new sewing machine a few weeks back and it came with this mythical attachment so I've borrowed hers. I haven't quite made my mind up about it. It's handy, but I still didn't manage the zipper quite as neat as I would have wanted and I did unpick it once. Meh. But it's there now and I'm happy with the result so I'm tempted to "invest" in one.

I moved the zipper to the side on this one so I didn't have to do pattern matching on the back. Lazy or just clever? I'm going to vote for the latter ,D The Burda dress has the zipper on the side so that's where I got the idea from, even though I would love to take all the credit...

And here is the nearly finished product (and sorry for the bad photos I was in a hurry)


Frumpy Tartan dress

I've haven't hemmed the skirt yet mainly as I'm trying to decide what to do with the skirt ie. do I keep it pleated or do I re-do it as normal Peony skirt or do something else with it like a quarter circle skirt.  The dress looks frumpy, there is on two ways about it. I keep thinking it's the pleated skirt doing it as it's so heavy that drags to bodice down. Also the material isn't stiff enough for the pleats so they sag, don't they? And even a huge petticoat wouldnt save this one. I'm somewhat annoyed as I really would love a pleated tartan skirt to wear with my DMs but it looks as if it's not to be, well at least not with this dress.

Advice needed dear readers. To unpick or not?  

No comments:

Post a Comment