Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Cute as a button

I'm not usually huge on jewellery, but I love button earrings and I love matching things so it was about high time I made some. Considering button earrings are the easiest project to make and they don't take long either, it's shameful it's taken me so long. I ordered some coverable buttons from Nappikauppa Punahilkka and used the scrap fabric from previous (and one future) projects. I also used my street cred pink tool kit to bend the button loop to one side before adding to earring posts to the buttons.

Pink tools

Button loops away

Nappikauppa Punahilkka had some coverable buttons with blank backs which would have been perfect for earring making (no hassle with the tools), but since I ordered 50 buttons I thought I might like to make some covered buttons in the future so it made sense to order these rather than the blnks. Covered buttons, pink tools, earring posts and some superglue later:


I really like the tape measure ones, which are your favorite ones dear readers? 

Monday, 17 February 2014

New Look 6000 LDB

Me and my friend Jenni have been making versions of the  New Look 6000 dress as a part of our melkein Marttakerho (see this post for what that means). We were joking that they'll be our Christmas party dresses, but that we'll probably have to have our Christmas party in January to get them done on time. Jenni finished hers in December I almost finished mine in time, but then it went a bit wrong and I only just finished mine in January, but I have worn it a lot since.

We chose the New Look 6000 because it's a lovely, easy to wear dress and it's suitable for beginners, especially if you make it from a double-knit you don't need to worry about zippers. I went for a black jersey (no surprise there) and Jenni chose a lovely purple jersey.

I used my existing pattern, but I did a small sway back alteration and also took the front in a bit so the neckline wouldn't gape. I used Gertie's new book for better sewing to help me with the pattern alterations and I have to say I'm pleased with how they worked out. Jenni didn't have to make any alterations to the patterns, how lucky is that? 

The dresses came together rather quickly even if I did unpick a sleeve (twice). Did I say something about sleeves being easy in an earlier post? I take it all back, having said that out loud must have jinxed myself, dur. 

Anyhow here are a pictures of the finished result modeled by me for a change. Donna is nice, but she doesn't always do justice to my projects (which reminds me I should take pictures of the dotty Peony being worn as it looks a lot better on me than it does on her!)

My casual LBD 

 



You can't really see the details in the pics thanks to the lack of light. I wish the days would already get longer so I'd get better pics. I also need Timo to take more pics for me as selfies really aren't good for as sewing blog. But I'm happy with the dress, it's easy to wear and the material is nice. I might make a separate collar and cuffs for it so I could jazz it up a bit or make another one with pleather cuffs and a collar. I'll also see if I can get Jenni to type up a guest post of her journey with the dress.

Over&out for now dear readers.

Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Measuring up my ironing board.

The first item from my this year's sewing list is completed, hurrah! It's probably not the most exciting thing on the list, but my ironing board cover was in a pretty sorry shape and I've been meaning to do something about it for ages, but somehow I didn't get around until now. Finding this amazing tape measure print fabric from Minerva Crafts was obviously the kick start I needed.

So after ordering the fabric I went and had a look at some tutorials ( here and here) and started planning. At this point I realised that my lovely tape measure fabric isn't wide enough. Nooo! But I decided to go ahead and add a seam. I'm hoping it won't interfere with my ironing too much and I did find some ironing board cover tutorials with several seams on them so ... I added some more batting to my ironing board as that was also wearing quite thin and no one likes the diamond shapes ironed onto your newly-made garments, do they?
Refurbished ironing board

 
I'd love to spray paint the legs in a cool colour, but I suspect that will have to wait til the summer. It's too cold outside to try to paint anything at the moment. I'm thinking turquoise for the legs or maybe pink, any colour suggestions dear readers?

And from the leftover fabric from the ironing board cover I made myself a new pin cushion. That's also been on my to do -list for a while now, but I've had this weird sentimental relationship with my old pin cushion, I just couldn't bare to part with it even though I dislike the fabric on it. I suspect this silly sentimentally has something to do with the fact that I made it in school quite a few years ago and that wrist-strap is superhandy. I also hate getting rid of usable things just cause I don't like the look of then. But I have to say I'm tres happy with my new up-dated pretty pin cushion and I used to old one as a "pattern" as I really like the wrist strap on it so it feels like it's still there in spirit ,D

New and old pin cushion

 
Fashionable wrist strap 


That's all for now. Over&out for now dear readers!