Monday, 17 February 2014

New Look 6000 LDB

Me and my friend Jenni have been making versions of the  New Look 6000 dress as a part of our melkein Marttakerho (see this post for what that means). We were joking that they'll be our Christmas party dresses, but that we'll probably have to have our Christmas party in January to get them done on time. Jenni finished hers in December I almost finished mine in time, but then it went a bit wrong and I only just finished mine in January, but I have worn it a lot since.

We chose the New Look 6000 because it's a lovely, easy to wear dress and it's suitable for beginners, especially if you make it from a double-knit you don't need to worry about zippers. I went for a black jersey (no surprise there) and Jenni chose a lovely purple jersey.

I used my existing pattern, but I did a small sway back alteration and also took the front in a bit so the neckline wouldn't gape. I used Gertie's new book for better sewing to help me with the pattern alterations and I have to say I'm pleased with how they worked out. Jenni didn't have to make any alterations to the patterns, how lucky is that? 

The dresses came together rather quickly even if I did unpick a sleeve (twice). Did I say something about sleeves being easy in an earlier post? I take it all back, having said that out loud must have jinxed myself, dur. 

Anyhow here are a pictures of the finished result modeled by me for a change. Donna is nice, but she doesn't always do justice to my projects (which reminds me I should take pictures of the dotty Peony being worn as it looks a lot better on me than it does on her!)

My casual LBD 

 



You can't really see the details in the pics thanks to the lack of light. I wish the days would already get longer so I'd get better pics. I also need Timo to take more pics for me as selfies really aren't good for as sewing blog. But I'm happy with the dress, it's easy to wear and the material is nice. I might make a separate collar and cuffs for it so I could jazz it up a bit or make another one with pleather cuffs and a collar. I'll also see if I can get Jenni to type up a guest post of her journey with the dress.

Over&out for now dear readers.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome, that's so funny I've been working on the altering the 6000 too to make it into an a-line skirt and want to do a sway back adjustment too! I love the idea of having a perfect 2 piece dress ready to go! Thanks for stopping by the other day, I lost my SECOND camera cable so haven't been able to upload pics, have ordered one off Ebay so hopefully el bloggo should be back up and running soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies



    1. Essi P18 February 2014 10:12

      It's a really nice pattern and dead-easy to make (especially if you leave the zipper out like I did!). Though my back seems to pucker a bit on the pics. More adjustment next time..? Or maybe it's just the grainy photo.

      Good to hear you haven't disappeared from the blogosphere altogether. I can't wait to see your version of the NL6000.

      Delete
  2. And our next project shall be dresses for a summer party! I'm considering that guest post though it will consist of sentences like "Essi helped me here .. and here.." :) -Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it wouldn't sweets. It would be great if you could type something and I'd love to get some pics of your one as well. Summer dress sounds good, figuring out patterns at our next Martta-meeting?

      Delete