Saturday, 4 October 2014

Love at first stitch - Delphine skirt

I got my copy of  Love at first stitch by Tilly from Tilly and the Buttons way back in May, but only just got around finishing the first project from it. I have to confess that I started the Delphine skirt almost straight away and got quite far with it and then I just stopped. The almost finished skirt sat on my dress form for most of the summer waiting to be hemmed. I blame my lack of sewing mojo (I should share the project that destroyed it), but it's finally done now and I'm really pleased with the result.

The book really is as awesome as the reviews say. There are 8 different projects in the book, each adds new skills to your repertoire, you can see all the projects at Tilly's blog. They are lovely, aren't they? I want to make all the projects from the book. As mentioned above my first project from the book was the Delphine skirt which is a simple yet stylish a-line skirt. Surprisingly enough I have a few black skirts in my wardrobe already, but some of them have started looking drab so this seemed like the perfect solution. The skirt is also long enough that I can wear it to work which is always good.

Love at first stitch and pattern pieces



I enjoyed making the skirt, it was fairly straight-forward and the instructions are so well illustrated that. I had to do a slight sway-back adjustment to the waistline, but that was simple enough and fits better now.  I just wish I would have noticed it before inserting the zipper rather than after, but then what would a project without spending some time with the seam ripper be? The invisible zipper was surprisingly easy to set (both times), we like.  I also ended up taking in the side seams in a bit cause the skirt looked a bit too wide when finished, but it still has the 60s style playfulness.

Black Delphine skirt and channeling Tilly



I'm definitely going to make another Delphine, probably a dotty one, I just need to a find the right fabric first. If you've seen any please point them in my direction, ta. I am very tempted to order the crazy hipster deer dotty fabric Tilly used, but I'm not sure that would be too weird/stalkerish. Anyhow I'm off to plan my next project, there is a good chance that it will be something from Tilly's book...Over&out for now dear readers.

2 comments:

  1. Your Delphine is lovely, I'm definitely going to make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, it's so easy and so wearable. I might have bought a rain drop print fabric which is waiting to be turned into my Delphine no 2 ;)

      Delete