Thursday, 29 January 2015

Meet Bernette Funlock 4000 by Bernina


My new-old serger which I inherited from my Nan. I wish I'd paid more attention when she was using the serger as I've discovered the hard way how temperamental it can be. We've had a bit of a rocky start, but I think we're getting along better now.

I have to confess Bernette was in the cupboard for a fair few years until I plucked enough courage to take her out. I figured it would be sensible to have it serviced before starting my new sewing chapter. Good news is that everything was fine, they added new blades and new needles and that was it. Apparently Bernette has a very nice stitch as well, needless to say I was very excited.

Nice stitching


When I got home I tested it and everything seemed fine. For some reason I had beige (I know what colour?!) thread on the machine when I took it to be looked at and I don't really use beige ever so I thought I'd change the thread. This is when my troubles began. I'd seen my Nan change the thread by knotting the old one to the new one, I figured I'd try to do the same. It seemed to go fine, but the lower looper thread broke, so I then thought no worries I'll just re-thread that and everything will be fine. BIG MISTAKE. I did it and Bernette would do a few stitches but then the thread would break. I kept repeating this for a while and I had no clue what to do. I got so disheartened I left Bernette back in her case for a while.

Luckily when I was feeling up for the challenge again I came across this fab blog post series called Relationship Rescue: you and your serger by Palak from Make it Handmade that explained how important it is to thread the machine in the right order. I tried it and it worked though the stitching didn't look very nice, it looked the like the tension was way off. After some fiddling around and some more reading I figured that the needle threads weren't going through the tension thingymibobs properly. After adjusting those the stitching is nice and smooth again. I've only done small test pieces, but I can't wait to get started properly with Bernette.

Sur-rur-rur for now dear readers!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I know what you mean about temperamental overlockers! I have a Brother 1034D, and it absolutely will not play if it isn't threaded in the right order. It's like they know what you've done! Good luck with your's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne, good to hear I'm not alone with temperamental overlockers and that there is hope :)

      Delete