Friday, 15 April 2016

Laurel n:o 2

All this moving malarkey has taken up an awful lot of time hence it's been a bit quiet on both the sewing and blogging front, but I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things. We've pretty much moved and settled into our new place which is fab. Still a few things to figure out, like where my sewing machine will live, but I'm sure it'll find a perfect place given some time.

I have managed some sewing even with the packing, sorting, and other chaos around. I made another Colette Laurel, this time a sleeveless dress with fringe. And yes, it's a supposed to be a flapper girl dress, otherwise fringe might be a bit much. I'll admit it was a bit quick and dirty dress as we had a Gatsby themed party to attend and I had nothing to wear. I ended up sewing the last fringes on train on our there, but better late than never?
The faux 1920s dress 



I added some silver to the bottom after this photo was taken. I could have easily continued adding bits to the dress for another few hours, but it's probably for the best that I had to stop, hand-stitching beads would have been too much ... Though I did see some amazing outfits on the night, I ended up feeling a tad under-dressed even with the fringe.

I used the pattern with the same modifications that used for the Laurel top I made just before Christmas. For some reason the dress was huge when I first sewed together. I had to take the side seams in half on inch both sides and it still could have been a bit tighter. I know I hadn't lost any weight at that point so I'm a bit baffled as to what happened. I think I'll need to redraw the pattern as I am going to make another Laurel for the summer.

For some reason all the pics from the actual night are a bit so and so and you can't really see the dress in detail, but here's a few anyway.




The party was much fun, we danced Charleston til our feet hurt and had a few glasses of bubbly, just like real flappers. I'm all for themed parties these days.

I have some sewing planned for tomorrow so hopefully my next update won't be such a long way away. Over&out for now dear readers!

Tuesday, 2 February 2016

My #VintagePledge

Most of you are probably familiar with Vintage Pledge that Marie from A Stitching Odyssey and Kerry from Kestrel Makes are hosting for the third year running. In short it's a sewing challenge that encourages all of us to use our vintage or re-production patterns from our stash. I've followed the vintage pledge previous years, but I felt that my skills weren't quite there to tackle vintage patterns yet so instead I just admired all the lovely makes (and there are plenty).

This year I'm throwing caution to the wind and joining in. I have a few amazing vintage patterns in my stash and I may have bought another one a few weeks back from Vapriikki's vintage market. It's about time I used these patterns rather than just admire in my drawer. So here goes:

I, Essi P. pledge to make at least two dresses from my vintage pattern stash during 2016.


Hope some of you join in and happy pledging dear readers!

Thursday, 7 January 2016

Just add glitter ...

I was so lazy with sewing and blogging last year that I'm not going to do a top five post and I think I'm going to continue with last long list of sewing this year so no sewlutions or re-caps here. Instead I thought I'd show you the glittery dinosaurs I made just before Christmas!

The dino-thing all started some time last year when I saw a dinosaur planter on Pinterest/Etsy. I was going to order a few planters on Etsy (as apparently I'm not allowed to use a carpet knife after the carpet knife incident...), but one company didn't ship to Finland and the other one seller didn't have the right colours so I left it for a while and forgot about it. Then dinosaurs came up a few months ago at work (I have no idea why) so I did some searching and soon found several tutorials for all things dinosaur. Here are a few of my current faves:  Checks and Spots' turorial for planters, Three little monkey studios tutorial for an awesome serving dish and Chris Gardner's tutorial for sparkly dinos.

It was surprisingly difficult to find suitable toy dinosaurs so the servings dish and planters are still only plans, but I did find some small dinosaurs suitable for Christmas decorations. Yay. We did some Christmas crafting with my sewing/craft club so it was a perfect opportunity to start on the dinos. I loosely followed the tutorial but I ended up using acrylic paints instead of spray paint as it is less messy. I also painted the dinosaurs first and the added a layer of glue and glitter. 

RaaRaa!



Just add glitter 




Hope you all enjoyed your holidays and happy new year! I will do more sewing this year even without the sewlutions, promise ,)